Styles for the Competition between Redstick and Deadyeast

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Which Style For the Competition - Only one.

Poll ended at Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:33 am

German Wheat and Rye (BJCP category 15)
33%
IPA (BJCP category 14)
42%
English Pale Ale (BJCP category 8)
17%
Porter (BJCP category 12)
8%

Total votes : 12

Styles for the Competition between Redstick and Deadyeast

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:33 am

Please vote on one of the styles listed above. These were the ones decided at the November club meeting. The one that receives the most votes will be the style that we are picking for our half of the competition.

Using the same method that contests generally use, we will be using a general catagory, and any beer in that catagory can be entered and judged against one another. i.e. German Wheat and Rye consists of Hefe's, Dunkles, Weizenbock, and Roggenbier.

The choices changed a little since last night because we wanted an Amber listed here, but since we also listed that the Club Only Competition beer would be an American Brown, thats in the same BJCP category as an Amber. So I added Bitters back to the list.

Check the BJCP website for style examples and characteristics.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php
Last edited by yeastmeister on Sun May 10, 2009 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:07 am

I would go for eather German wheat and make a Dunkleweizen or a Porter but i picked Porter. So the club only competition is a brown ale?
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:33 am

Yep, we feel that Redstick will pick brown ale, so we figured that if we made it our club competition beer, we would have a good amount of entries to enter against Redstick. Of course, at this point, we are guessing.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:46 am

I have a very good American Brown recipe I am working on, has a date been set yet
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:54 am

Not yet, we are waiting to see when the redstick -deadyeast competition is set for. The club competition will happen hopefully a month prior to that.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby thebuddrik » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:56 pm

I like IPA and am planing on doing one sooner than later so that was my vote.
thebuddrik

Postby redtail28 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Sorry I missed the meeting and club vote> But that little
thing called work always seems to always raise it's ugly head. :twisted:
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:22 pm

We were sorry that you couldn't make it as well. I hope someone told you that you have been nominated for club secretary.
Or did I just have too much homebrew?
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:51 pm

:shock: :
:shock: :shock: :
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :?:
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby Imakewort » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
and may that be a lesson to all not to miss a meeting, remember all club positions come up for a vote in January
Imakewort

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Just to clarify, I went to the results page of the Dixie Cup, and the winning beer by the Redstick Brewmasters was a Northern English Brown Ale, not an American Brown Ale. I already brewed an American Brown Ale and I guess it's as good a style as any to have a our local competition on, unless ya'll want to change the style to Northern English Brown?
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Agreed. We should change the club brew to Category 11 (English Brown Ale). Unless someone strongly objects. The point in matching the redsticks category is that if they pick it, we will have a number of entries to enter in their category. Its all a guess at this point. We have no actual idea what their vote is going to be.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 pm

the redsticks winning entry was a northern English brown ale style 11C. I like this beer but prefer to brew a american brown ale style 10C

10C. American Brown Ale
Aroma: Malty, sweet and rich, which often has a chocolate, caramel, nutty and/or toasty quality. Hop aroma is typically low to moderate. Some interpretations of the style may feature a stronger hop aroma, a citrusy American hop character, and/or a fresh dry-hopped aroma (all are optional). Fruity esters are moderate to very low. The dark malt character is more robust than other brown ales, yet stops short of being overly porter-like. The malt and hops are generally balanced. Moderately low to no diacetyl

Flavor: Medium to high malty flavor (often with caramel, toasty and/or chocolate flavors), with medium to medium-high bitterness. The medium to medium-dry finish provides an aftertaste having both malt and hops. Hop flavor can be light to moderate, and may optionally have a citrusy character. Very low to moderate fruity esters. Moderately low to no diacetyl.

11C. Northern English Brown Ale
Aroma: Light, sweet malt aroma with toffee, nutty and/or caramel notes. A light but appealing fresh hop aroma (UK varieties) may also be noticed. A light fruity ester aroma may be evident in these beers, but should not dominate. Very low to no diacetyl.

Flavor: Gentle to moderate malt sweetness, with a nutty, lightly caramelly character and a medium-dry to dry finish. Malt may also have a toasted, biscuity, or toffee-like character. Medium to medium-low bitterness. Malt-hop balance is nearly even, with hop flavor low to none (UK varieties). Some fruity esters can be present; low diacetyl (especially butterscotch) is optional but acceptable.
Imakewort

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:07 pm

I too prefer the American Brown much more than English Brown

I understand the reason behind wanting to change
but I've already committed to my Am. brown recipe.

If the majority wants to change than so be it. I'd like to stick with what we planned though.

I'll try and brew both if so, but chances are I won't have time.
triple-oh_six

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:07 pm

I too prefer the American Brown much more than English Brown

I understand the reason behind wanting to change
but I've already committed to my Am. brown recipe.

If the majority wants to change than so be it. I'd like to stick with what we planned though.

I'll try and brew both if so, but chances are I won't have time.
triple-oh_six

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum