Keg parts

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Keg parts

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:10 am

The last time I ordered parts from online, I forgot to buy O-rings for my ball-lock keg posts. I refuse to pay $7.50 for shipping on less than $2.00 worth of parts. Marcello's doesn't carry them and B3 takes at least three weeks to get here.
Does anyone know where I can fin suitable rubber locally?
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:19 am

I'm at defalcos now. I will pick some up here.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:50 pm

thanks. I only have one ball-lock and I was hoping to use it for Nov. 1. Don't want to lug a 5-gallon around.
aleguy

Postby mjc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 am

The CHI Company is very reasonble: On something like one set of gaskets, they would send for $1 with USPS 1st class
mjc

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:08 am

mjc wrote:The CHI Company is very reasonble: On something like one set of gaskets, they would send for $1 with USPS 1st class

Very cute Mr. Chitiea. Since we are a nice honest site, and you are actually a person, and not a bot, I have no problems with you promoting your own wares since they are brewing related.

But why don't you just come right out and say that you are CHI company?

Do we get a discount since you are advertising here?
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby mjc » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:54 am

Thank you for letting us know.
Now that you have stated that it is OK to help people when and where we can, we will most certainly assist fellow readers with pricing and availability notes like we do at homebrewtalk and others.
Thank you very much,

Matthew Chitiea
The CHI Company
chicompany.net
mjc

Postby aleguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:47 pm

After checking out the site, I've come to the conclusion that the prices aren't really better than the other homebrew sites we've all been using, with the exception of bulk corny keg buys. 8 kegs for $147+ s&h seems like a good deal to me, especially after paying $95(including s&h) for one 3-gallon keg.
The usual sites are certainly more user friendly even if they don't carry a $9 refractometer. (you don't want it!)
aleguy

Postby mjc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:19 pm

I do believe that $9 is for a Replacement PART....
mjc

Postby aleguy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 pm

That's not what it said on your website. "refractometers from $9"
Anyway, Your site is not very user friendly, it's very hard to know exactly what you're looking at when all you have listed is a catalog number. Maybe your industrial clients don't have a problem finding what they need, but us poor homebrewers need better information (usually with prices)
If you want to know what I'm talking about, check out Williams Brewing website. It's one of the better ones. I'm not saying you should follow their lead, but it couldn't hurt your sales.
aleguy

Postby mjc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Thank you for the input.
We are always striving to make things more user friendly.
We have a survey site where customers can place their opinions and the "look and the feel" of the site IS a concern. So far 80%+ say it's ok but......

The way the cart is designed (we can't change it), the LOWEST price item in each listing is shown.
Since that specific page lists by "attribute" (parts and main pieces), $9 is shown.

Thank you,
Matt
The CHI Company
mjc

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:19 pm

If anyone's interested, I went ahead and purchased a 4-pack of kegs from CHI. The outsides of the kegs are all pretty scuffed up and have remnants of tape left on them (as expected), but only 1 of them was really dented up. The other three range from no to very few dents.
The three that weren't banged up had decent hardware on them and were pressurized when they arrived. The other had hardware which was dented but usable, but was not pressurized when it arrived.
2 of the kegs had 'wonky' dip tubes. 1 of the dip tubes was simply at a strange angle, and I was able to make it serviceable quite easily. The other keg (not surprisingly, it was the beat up one) had it's dip tube actually turned UP? It took quite a bit of tinkering to get that one serviceable, but I eventually did.

All told, I probably would not buy from CHI again (no offense, Mr. Chitea). The price initially seems real nice, but the gasket set costs an additional $8, and the shipping costs twice as much as the Keg Connection. For 4 'B' kegs, the Keg Connection would charge $120.49 shipped, and includes the gasket set free of charge. For 4 kegs, plus the gasket set, CHI charges $137.38 shipped, and the condition seems to be hit and miss.

All told, I'm reasonably happy with my purchase. I bought 4 kegs, but my intention was to keep only 2 of them, and give the other 2 to my brother. He seemed pretty happy to take the 'bad' keg from me. The two I kept are in very good condition, and I can't wait clean them up and get some beer in them!

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby mjc » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm

If possible, please email us a pic of the "turned up" dip tube. I'd love to see what you mean.

RE: Scuffs.
These are in the same condition that Pepsi used. This is normal for all used kegs.

RE: "Strange Angle" diptube.
Some kegs have straight liq dip tubes, others are bent to reach the center low spot of the keg. There are slight angle variations; this is normal.

RE: Cost of GSets
We usually have a free gasket set w/ each keg "special". You may have ordered when that was not the case.

RE: Taking offense
None taken. We thank you for posting your opinion. There are too many sellers (of anything) that just don't give a d***.

RE: UPS shipping cost
We are negotiating with UPS to lower their cost. They increased them AGAIN in January of this year.
We are also trying to integrate FedEx into our website to add another, and hopefully cheaper, shipping option.
Please keep in mind that we only charge $3 over actual shipping cost. This covers the cost of the custom made shipping boxes.

If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please don't hesitate in letting us know.

Thank you,
Matt
The CHI Company, LLC.
chicompany.net
mjc

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:49 pm

Hey Matt.

I would have been happy to send you the pic you requested, however as I said in my above post, I've already tinkered with the dip tube to make it serviceable. I only wish that I would have taken a pic, because it's a hard thing to explain. Still in all, it wasn't a very difficult thing to fix, just a damn strange thing to see upon opening a keg!

RE: Scuffs
As I stated in my post, I expected these.

RE: Strange Angle Dip Tube
Thanks for the info! I'm only a recent devotee of the keg system, and this is the first time that I've seen dip tubes angled like this. All the others I've seen are angled at the bottom only, in order to get to the center low spot. One of these tubes was bent to where it reached to the opposite side of the keg. The other, as I said, was bent to the point where the bottom of the dip tube was looking up.

RE: Cost of GSet
I am simply reporting what my particular purchase was, and how I received it. When I placed my order, there was no free gasket promotion.

RE: Taking Offense
I'm very happy that you took no offense, because there was certainly none implied.

RE: UPS Shipping Costs
Shipping cost is a huge deal to me, when dealing with online purchases. While I have no doubt that you are being 100% honest with your shipping costs, it is also true that a closer vendor can charge less for shipping the same item. All other things being equal, I always look for the cheapest shipping.

I think that i should go into a bit more detail with one of my earlier comments. In my earlier post, I said I would probably not buy from CHI again. This has nothing to do with the perceived quality of the products that I received, but more the fact that, aside from the keg package, CHI's products are priced about the same as everyone else. Since CHI charges nearly twice as much to ship as some of the closer competition, I would choose someone else unless CHI could beat the price.

Again, I feel reasonably good about my purchase. I got one keg in excellent condition, two kegs in good condition, and only one that was not as good as I would have hoped. And if it's still holding pressure when my brother returns from offshore, I can't even really feel bad about that one.

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum