Where can I get beer gas in Lafayette?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Where can I get beer gas in Lafayette?

Postby declouet » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:57 pm

I moved back to lafayette recently from baton rouge and i am trying to find a place to refill my co2 tank. I am new to brewing. I started with all-grain and kegging. I have read that the gas supply to the keg should be 50% CO2 and 50% Nitrogen. Is this correct? I currently have 100% CO2 in my tank and I find that the foam contains larger bubbles than I see in commercial tap systems.
Anyway, does anyone know where I can refill my CO2 tank in lafayette with half CO2 and half Nitrogen.
declouet

Postby aleguy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 am

I believe the proportion of nitrogen to CO2 is more like 20-80. As far as I know, a nitrogen tap is required along with a separate tank, regulator and mixing valves. It's a complicated setup, and very expensive. Originally it was used for Guinness draft exclusively.
I think everyone around here just uses plain CO2, which you can get at Airgas, as well as several other places around town, but Airgas is generally cheaper.
aleguy

Postby declouet » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:44 am

thanks for the info. exactly what i needed to know.
declouet

Postby zeeboz » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:40 pm

I use 100% CO2.
You can get CO2 from almost any welding supply shop.
If you talk nice to them and offer a brew you may get a bottle filled for free.
zeeboz

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:18 pm

So, what's the average price to get a 5 LB tank filled?
Last edited by GuitarLord5000 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuitarLord5000

Postby thebuddrik » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 pm

I just got a tank certified and filled at safecon for about $32. They said to fill a 5lb bottle they charge $7. Dont know if that helped but thats what I got.
thebuddrik

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey thanks man!

That's what I wanted to know!

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:40 pm

I usually go to National Welding supply on E. Amedee, just past Kentwood on right as you are leaving Lafayette on Ambassador. They were the cheapest for gas and they were the cheapest place to fill your propane tank at the same time. They were charging $13 for a small propane tank when everyone else was charging $21. Real nice people too.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 pm

bdjwayne wrote:I usually go to National Welding supply on E. Amedee, just past Kentwood on right as you are leaving Lafayette on Ambassador. They were the cheapest for gas and they were the cheapest place to fill your propane tank at the same time. They were charging $13 for a small propane tank when everyone else was charging $21. Real nice people too.

Have you been there recently, apparently a law was passed and only certain places in Lafayette can fill tanks.
At least that's what the welding supply shop across the street from my house said, that does't make it true though.
I usually fill up at Airgas on surrey near Pinhook, $20-$25 for a 25lb tank.
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 am

triple-oh_six wrote:Have you been there recently, apparently a law was passed and only certain places in Lafayette can fill tanks.
At least that's what the welding supply shop across the street from my house said, that does't make it true though.
I usually fill up at Airgas on surrey near Pinhook, $20-$25 for a 25lb tank.

I'm pretty sure your talking about propane tanks in regards to that law. I don't think it applied to co2. Arguably, propane is much more dangerous than co2.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:12 pm

yeastmeister wrote:
I'm pretty sure your talking about propane tanks in regards to that law. I don't think it applied to co2. Arguably, propane is much more dangerous than co2.

No, the guy said co2, but like I said, I don't believe everything I hear.
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:30 pm

If there is a law restricting who can fill co2 tanks in Lafayette, it probably has more to do with people using welding gas to dispense beverages such as beer and soda. I'm given to understand that some sources can be contaminated with machine oil and such.
This is the reason I'm worried about using a paintball tank as a source of co2 for my rolling kegerator.
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:43 pm

I just got my 5 lb. bottle filled today. I originally went to Safcon. When I asked how much the guy was gonna charge to fill my tank, he said, "Shouldn't be more that $50."
He could tell by my expression that $50 seemed like a lot of dough, so he explained to me that they would have to, "Check all the valves and stuff." before they could fill the tank, and that it would only 'really' cost about $25...and that they could get to it sometime this evening. It's a new tank, mind you, and doesn't need to be recertified.
Well, I took the tank to National Welding Supply, and got it filled for a whopping $3.10, while I waited.
Needless to say, I won't be going back to Safcon. Just wanted to give you folks a heads up. Either the Safcon guy was trying to rip me off, or he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Either way, that's not someone I'd choose to do business with.

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby Wombatpix » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:57 pm

I just went to Nat Welding supply and had 2 5lb bottles filled for $6. Tracy, the guy at the desk, is a real beer lover. It would be nice to bring him a bit of your home brew just to say "Thank you". There is a sign in the store stating that as of 01/01/08 you must prove that you own the container you bring to be filled. I'm not sure this applies to us since Tracy did not ask me about my bottles. Of course, Gene and Zeke had their names written on them in sharpie...
Wombatpix

Postby aleguy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 pm

SafCon is somewhere I would only recommend for a recert. For gas I go to
Airgas, but the other place sounds good too. I thing when I called them, the couldn't fill my 20# tank because of equipment failure.
Does anyone know a safe place to get a paintball tank filled? If heard that some places provide gas that is "Pre-oiled" to keep the gun mechanisms in good shape. Not something I want for beer!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum