my idea for brew stand control box. will it work?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

my idea for brew stand control box. will it work?

Postby david79thomas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 am

Here's my idea. I'd like to push buttons to open the solenoid valves to direct the flow from one tank to the other if possible instead of manually turning multiple valves. I wanted to have 3 buttons called MASH, SPARGE & BOIL. So, MASH opens 3 valves sending HLT water to mash tun. SPARGE opens 2 valves sparging mash. BOIL opens 2 valves sending wort to boil kettle.

Can you splice/ link one valve to 3 buttons? And have one button open 3 valves simultaneously?

I'm trying to simplify this as much as I can. Maybe I can only use one pump? I have two, but seems like it would work better with one and I could use the other to transfer to the therminator or fermenter.

One more thing, is there a way to rig a button on the control box to spark an ignition for the pilot light? Preferably a momentary button I'd hold down sparking continuously instead of pushing it repeatedly sparking one at a time.

Buddy, how does the diagram for tthe blue lines representing stainless tubing look? All the lines would be down sloping to help direct the flow by gravity. I figured a drain plug at the lowest point would be easy to drain what's left over in the lines.
Attachments
CONTROL BOX 1700.jpg
CONTROL BOX 1700.jpg (202.23 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
david79thomas

Postby david79thomas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:29 pm

If this works, only one button can be pushed at a time. So, I'm trying to find buttons like old radios, where you have 4 preset buttons close together and you push one in, then if you push another one the other pops out. most times you'd reset it by pushing one in halfway or maybe one other is a reset button so they all pop out. Anyone have a clue what they're called and where I can find them? Doesn't have to be for or from a radio, I'm just using that as an example.
david79thomas

Postby david79thomas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Ok, Buddy told me that these solenoid valves can not be taken apart for cleaning so I won't do that. Also the stainless tubing is a bad idea because of clogging and ease of cleaning. So I'll just go manual valves and silicone tubing I guess :(
Unless I find a way to clean these solenoid valves easy and have no problems with clogged tubing and ease of cleaning with that.
david79thomas

Postby aleguy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:32 pm

I have to agree with Buddy. I think you're overcomplicating everything. You still would need ball valves to manually adjust flow rates. Just use cam lock fittings on your tubing ends so you can easily swap them around and remove them for cleaning/ storage.
BTW, there's no reason I can think of not to heat your strike water in the Mash tun. You will also want to run boiling wort through the pump you will use for the therminator/ fermentor. You will want it sanitary. I would also advise using one pump strictly for the HLT. That way you only have to clean one pump. No reason to clean a pump that only circulates water.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum