Mash Capping

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Mash Capping

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 pm

At the last meeting, I was discussing with Greg techniques for getting lots of color into a beer without a lot of roasty flavors coming along for the ride. To get tons of color with very little roasty flavor, I use a technique called Mash Capping. I brew my beer as normal, but during the sparge step, I dump about a half pound of finely ground dark malt to the mash. Here's some photos showing the color difference this technique makes.

Here are the first runnings before capping the mash:

And here are the first runnings after capping the mash:

It's a great technique for adding a lot of color to Black IPA/CDA type beers or Schwartzbier, where you want the beer extremely dark but not roasty. It also has use for adjusting color in other beers like the Southern English Brown Ale in the photo.
I use Midnight Wheat at 550 degrees lovibond for this, since it's a debittered black malt and the wheat has no husk.
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum